Anticholinergic, Mydriatic agent, Topical ophthalmic, Eye drop
Blocks cholinergic receptors in the iris and ciliary body causing mydriasis and paralysis.
- Do not use in cases of primary glaucoma. May precipitate acute congestive primary glaucoma in dogs predisposed to primary glaucoma.
- May precipitate acute congestive primary glaucoma in dogs predisposed to primary glaucoma.
- Repeated doses may cause systemic atropine toxicosis – mania and hyperthermia.
- Salivation may occur secondary to the bitter taste.
- Very frequent treatment may induce colic in horses secondary to systemic absorption and subsequent parasympathetic effects.
- Ointment – 5 mg/gm and 10 mg/gm in 3.5 gram tubes; Generic and a variety of trade names. Solution – 0.5%, 1% and 2% in unit dose droppers, 2, 5 and 15 mL bottles; Generic and a variety of trade names.
Veterinary – General
- Ointment – 10 mg/gm 1% in 3.5 gram tubes; Atrophate ®. May not be currently available.