Diuretic, Glaucoma treatment, Osmotic diuretic
- Contraindicated in patients with known sensitivity to this type of drug.
- Contraindicated in anuria, severe dehydration, severe heart failure and pulmonary edema.
- Give with caution in patients with hypovolemia, heart disease or diabetes.
- Use only when benefit outweighs the risk during pregnancy as safety has not been established.
- Vomiting after dosing is most common.
- Humans have reported headache, nausea, thirst and diarrhea.
- Topical miotic agents may prolong the IOP lowering effects of glycerin.
Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitor
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors may prolong the IOP lowering effects of glycerin.
- Oral liquid 50% (0.6 gm/mL) in 220 mL btls; Osmoglyn®. Also available in topical ophthalmic preps and suppository or liquid form for laxative use.
Veterinary – General