Antibiotic, Bactericidal, Topical ophthalmic, Eye drop, Topical antibiotic combination
Mycitracin®, Neobacimyx®, Neosporin®, Optiprime®, Trioptic-P, Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Vetro-Biotic® Ointment, Vetropolycin®
Broad spectrum bactericidal antibiotic.
- Due to the risk of severe anaphylaxis and death, some feel triple antibiotic combination therapy is contraindicated in cats.
- Hypersensitivity reactions are possible and thought to be related to neomycin allergy.
- There are sporadic reports of anaphylaxis and death in cats associated with the use of triple antibiotic ophthalmic products.
- Most are bacitracin/neomycin/polymixin B with occasional variation; many trade names; Neosporin ® Ophthalmic Solution.
Veterinary – General
- Ointment – Bacitracin / Neomycin / Polymixin B in 3.5 gram tube; Mycitracin ®, Neobacimyx ®, Trioptic-P ®, Vetropolycin ®, Vetro-Biotic ® Ointment in 1 oz or 30 gr tubes, generic. Approved for dogs and cats. Solution – Neomycin / Polymixin B; Optiprime ®. Approved for dogs.