Antibiotic, Bactericidal, Fluoroquinolone, Topical ophthalmic, Eye drop, Topical single antibiotic
Broad spectrum bactericidal fluoroquinolone antibiotic
- Should not be used as a prophylactic antibiotic.
- Retinal damage has been associated with systemic enrofloxacin – clinicians are strongly cautioned regarding the development of retinal neurotoxicity at or above the formerly recommended systemic dose of enrofloxacin in cats. There are no reports of similar toxicity with topical ophthalmic products at the time of this writing.
- May cause crusting or precipitates in corneal defects.
- May cause conjunctival hyperemia, bad taste in mouth, foreign body itching sensation, squinting, tearing, lid swelling and nausea.
- Allergic reactions are possible.
- May prolong QTC intervals.
- Solution 5 mg/mL in 3 and 6 mL btls; Vigamox®
Veterinary – General